Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
McGerm McGerm is offline

Default Question on Tobacco Tea

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim