Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butts

'Mike' says...

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10 Jan, 09:19, "'Mike'" wrote:
Question. Considering they have creepy crawlies in them at certain times
of
the year, (I haven't been out to see if there are any now) how can the
water
be made fit for drinking in an emergency?

You boil it first?!

You can buy flasks that filter water, maintained to be 100% efficient in
getting rid of nasties. I have seen a demonstration where water was taken
from a foul ditch, filtered and then drank. Not by me I hasten to add.

Is this the same as those things you can buy for the kitchen? :-(((

We have one of those things in the fridge and my wife did start to use it
for the kettle to 'stop it furring up'. Made a dreadful cup of tea. Very
very bitter to such a degree that I stopped drinking tea :-((

Mike

I think they are different. The water filter you mention is
to remove hardness or other dissolved minerals. Usually by
activated carbon which absorbs chemicals from the water
onto it's surface.

The filter used to remove nasties from the foul ditch I
would guess probably has multi layers of filters (as in
sieves) or ever smaller size. If the smallest can filter
out bacteria then the water should be free of harmful
organisms. If this method was combined with the activated
charcoal filter then dissolved minerals could also be
removed.
--
David in Normandy