Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Butts

I have lifted this from another thread on this newsgroup and ask a question
after it.
.................................................. .................................................. .................
""actually in area where they are dependent on pumping stations to get them
water, that might not be too silly. What use dry foods when there is no
water at the tap and no one has come round with standpipes?
You'd probably need to have both dried and tinned foods, and a few spare
water containers

Jim Webster ""
.................................................. .................................................. ...................

Most of the readers of this newsgroup will have water butts, we have 8 and
they are full.

Question. Considering they have creepy crawlies in them at certain times of
the year, (I haven't been out to see if there are any now) how can the water
be made fit for drinking in an emergency?

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jan, 09:19, "'Mike'" wrote:
Question. Considering they have creepy crawlies in them at certain times of
the year, (I haven't been out to see if there are any now) how can the water
be made fit for drinking in an emergency?

You boil it first?!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' says...

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10 Jan, 09:19, "'Mike'" wrote:
Question. Considering they have creepy crawlies in them at certain times
of
the year, (I haven't been out to see if there are any now) how can the
water
be made fit for drinking in an emergency?

You boil it first?!

You can buy flasks that filter water, maintained to be 100% efficient in
getting rid of nasties. I have seen a demonstration where water was taken
from a foul ditch, filtered and then drank. Not by me I hasten to add.

Is this the same as those things you can buy for the kitchen? :-(((

We have one of those things in the fridge and my wife did start to use it
for the kettle to 'stop it furring up'. Made a dreadful cup of tea. Very
very bitter to such a degree that I stopped drinking tea :-((

Mike

I think they are different. The water filter you mention is
to remove hardness or other dissolved minerals. Usually by
activated carbon which absorbs chemicals from the water
onto it's surface.

The filter used to remove nasties from the foul ditch I
would guess probably has multi layers of filters (as in
sieves) or ever smaller size. If the smallest can filter
out bacteria then the water should be free of harmful
organisms. If this method was combined with the activated
charcoal filter then dissolved minerals could also be
removed.
--
David in Normandy

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
'Mike' says...

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10 Jan, 09:19, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

Now that sounds good, therefore, every home should have one!

??

Mike

Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
I have lifted this from another thread on this newsgroup and ask a question
after it.
.................................................. .................................................. ................
""actually in area where they are dependent on pumping stations to get them
water, that might not be too silly. What use dry foods when there is no
water at the tap and no one has come round with standpipes?
You'd probably need to have both dried and tinned foods, and a few spare
water containers

Jim Webster ""
.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Most of the readers of this newsgroup will have water butts, we have 8 and
they are full.

Question. Considering they have creepy crawlies in them at certain times of
the year, (I haven't been out to see if there are any now) how can the water
be made fit for drinking in an emergency?

Mike

There are 4 methods you could use.
Boil it
Brew beer or similar with it, that was the method widely used in Europe
in the distant past and the reason why we generally have a higher
tolerance to alcohol than eastern races who were smart enough to boil
theirs!
Filter it, which is basically why spring water is usually ok as it is
filtered by the ground it passes through
Treat it chemically which makes it safe but taste disgusting! although
ship board water was usually treated with silver and tasted fine.
But if your water buts had a closed lid and it was an emergency I would
drink it straight
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' says...

"Broadback" wrote in message
On 10 Jan, 09:19, "'Mike'" wrote:
[...]

I'd guess that anything "sieve" based would have a limited
life span before the little holes became blocked. The
dirtier the water the sooner they would block.

Similarly with activated charcoal. It can only absorb so
much onto its surface. There are also probably some
pollutant chemicals which are not absorbed anyway but I
can't remember, my chemistry days were long ago.
--
David in Normandy
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jan, 11:13, Broadback wrote:
You can buy flasks that filter water, maintained to be 100% efficient in
getting rid of nasties. I have seen a demonstration where water was
taken from a foul ditch, filtered and then drank. *Not by me I hasten to
add.

Wasn't it Ray Mears who drank his own pee after using a cleaning
filter gizmo? I feel using chemicals, tablets and whatnots is so
contradictory after recycling water. Same with the Brita filter jugs -
we have one in the office and I can't remember the last time we've
changed the filter. I've never drank from it - even using electric
kettle took me years and even now it taste like plastic. I would boil
water from a saucepan. Now I use a kettle straight onto the gaz ring.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On 10 Jan, 11:13, Broadback wrote:
You can buy flasks that filter water, maintained to be 100% efficient in
getting rid of nasties. I have seen a demonstration where water was
taken from a foul ditch, filtered and then drank. Not by me I hasten to
add.

Wasn't it Ray Mears who drank his own pee after using a cleaning
filter gizmo? I feel using chemicals, tablets and whatnots is so
contradictory after recycling water. Same with the Brita filter jugs -
we have one in the office and I can't remember the last time we've
changed the filter. I've never drank from it - even using electric
kettle took me years and even now it taste like plastic. I would boil
water from a saucepan. Now I use a kettle straight onto the gaz ring.

.................................................. ..................

Brita Filter Jug.

That's the thing. Dreadful, made the tea taste 'orrible :-((((

Mike

Old 12-01-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-01-10 13:36:16 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article ,
says...
[...]

Sewage treatment plants use a combination of mechanical filters,
biological filters, ultra violet light purification chambers and
chemicals... as do filtration systems for ornamental ponds. Something
like the Cyprio EasyClear combines multiple water purification
processes in a single unit for small ponds and might work in a water
butt which wasn't used very often (biological filters need time to
work).
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufact...oze_Easyclear/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainwat...nd_maintenance

The trouble with roof run-off is that it takes in all manner of
impurities and contaminants after it has fallen and before it reaches
the water butt simply by flowing down across lead flashing and through
bird lime, etc. So if an emergency drinking water supply is needed,
you would be better off colecting rainwater straight from the sky in a
plastic sheet.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Jan, 12:11, "'Mike'" wrote:
[[water filteters]]
Is this the same as those things you can buy for the kitchen? :-(((

More like the ones people buy to go wilderness camping.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml
http://www.waterfilterdude.com/water-purify.shtml
http://www.msrgear.com/watertreatment/index.asp
are what I am thinking of