Old 14-01-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Peach bogglement

On 14 Jan, 11:40, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
It is one year old, grown from some seeds we picked up in Languedoc!
The leaves are fine, and have not pruned it at all (it currently has
several thin shoots). *I have not had any peaches, obviously :-)

From what I have found on the Web, it is the peach equivalent of the
bullace - i.e. more-or-less the variety imported to Europe by the
neolithic farmers. *I am hoping that means it is as tough as old
boots!

Oh yes it is. I think it's having a tantrum with the warm weather
we're having. You won't see peach on it for several years, but perhaps
in less than 5 years if you're lucky. They do seem to shoot back from
the base after around 7 years (where they put all their energy and
forget to fruit at the top) and I wondered if yours was preparing to
do this. Obvsiously not. I am tempted to see if I can find some seeds
on the edge of germination amongst the vignes this summer to bring
back. Thank you for the reminders of the delicious smells and the
sweet summer days coming our way soon ... )