Old 15-01-2008, 11:23 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I still have a few leaves left on my peach, a normal eating peach being grown in a very sheltered location against the house wall in the hills of Buckinghamshire. They are on a new shoot which appeared late in the season quite low down in a sheltered position. It is grown against a house wall in a sheltered corner, so it might not have experienced much of a frost.

I am aware that stone fruit requires a certain minimum chilling in order to fruit well. With last winter being very mild, I wonder if that is why my stone fruit didn't do very well last year. No damsons, few plums, and only a couple of peaches. We have had a lot more frosts than last year, although the weather in between has been very mild. My blueberry has been in flower continuously since November. A rhodie that normally flowers in March decided to flower in December, though then got caught out by the frost. Etc.