Old 17-01-2008, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mogga Mogga is offline

Default Allotments - who can have?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:18:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On 16 Jan, 09:21, mogga wrote:
My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

Where did you get this from? Seriously, I'm curious. Getting an
allotment has nothing to do with Manchester City Council but the
allotment society itself. I have never seen a mention for preferences.
You turn up on a Sunday preferably, at the closest allotment to you
(it makes sense to live as close as possible to your allotment) and
put your name down for a plot. The point of AMAS is to serve the whole
of Greater Manchester's allotment societies. Oldham has 18 allotments
averaging 100 plots and Werneth has a very active society. When my
other plot was in Old Trafford, I dealt with the allotment society
which in turn dealt with Old Trafford. In this instance I paid the
Council directly but they didn't choose to accept me as a plot holder,
the society did.

From the council contact listed on their site - via email
I'm overjoyed to hear your point of view though!
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free