Old 16-01-2008, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments - who can have?

My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

What does your council do?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Old 16-01-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jan, 09:21, mogga wrote:
My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

Where did you get this from? Seriously, I'm curious. Getting an
allotment has nothing to do with Manchester City Council but the
allotment society itself. I have never seen a mention for preferences.
You turn up on a Sunday preferably, at the closest allotment to you
(it makes sense to live as close as possible to your allotment) and
put your name down for a plot. The point of AMAS is to serve the whole
of Greater Manchester's allotment societies. Oldham has 18 allotments
averaging 100 plots and Werneth has a very active society. When my
other plot was in Old Trafford, I dealt with the allotment society
which in turn dealt with Old Trafford. In this instance I paid the
Council directly but they didn't choose to accept me as a plot holder,
the society did.
Old 16-01-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 9:21*am, mogga wrote:
My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

What does your council do?
--http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

In Norwich there are lotties next to the University and hospital. To
get one, one had to apply to Norwich City Council, I don't know if
there was any condition of residency though.

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

What does your council do?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk

You have to be resident in Plymouth to have one here

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth

Old 17-01-2008, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:18:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On 16 Jan, 09:21, mogga wrote:
[...]

From the council contact listed on their site - via email
I'm overjoyed to hear your point of view though!
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Old 17-01-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Jan, 08:26, Mogga wrote:
From the council contact listed on their site - via email
I'm overjoyed to hear your point of view though!

Great - but what are you doing ... a quiet revolution?! ;o)
Old 17-01-2008, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Jan, 13:55, mogga wrote:
I like to see the differences between councils as it's interesting to
see what they think is best practice.

Preston?! Your mate in Oldham has been offered a plot in Preston?! How
crazy is that. But you still have the right to an allotment. If you
have the energy to look into LA's inconsistencies, promesses and
bureaucratic mayhem, have a look into the National Society of
Allotments - and set up your own allotment if needs be. All you need
to start is 6 people with as much as energy as you have and some land.
Nothing is impossible. Nothing!

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/#
Old 18-01-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jan, 09:21, mogga wrote:
What does your council do?

As little as possible: http://tinyurl.com/246pkq

Old 18-01-2008, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:

My local council lets anyone have an allotment. They don't have to be
an Oldham resident.
Manchester (right next door and allotments closer) give preference to
Manchester residents only.

What does your council do?

I don't know - my local allotment site is run by a local allotment
association, not the council. I suspect it's quite a lot more sensible
as a result.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old 20-01-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 03:45:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On 16 Jan, 09:21, mogga wrote:
What does your council do?

As little as possible:
http://tinyurl.com/246pkq

LOL. "The Council recognises the value of allotments in encouraging
people to work outdoors and benefit from the satisfaction of growing
their own produce."
It's so tell how they end that sentence there rather than say they
encourage it.

There's a waiting list of 18 at my local allotment. It could be a long
wait!
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk