Old 18-01-2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Stole some fertiliser yesterday

"George.com" wrote in message
I went round to a work mates yesterday & helped him clean out his shed. I
took a few things he didn't want, including a sack of fertiliser. "Thanks"
was what he told me as I walked away with the sack of fertiliser. Mind you,
he thought the sack simply contained leaves. He didn't realise I was
walking away with the nutrients from his garden.

rob

Did you realize that you were not walking away with nutrients? You were
walking away with fertilizer.

Food is a substance that provides and energy source, mostly. Nutrient is a
substance that provides an energy source, elements, and other substances
essential for life, in types and amounts that can provide a healthy life.
Fertilizer is a substance that provides elements, as salts mostly, or in
bonded forms, that require microorganisms to alter to forms that can be
absorbed or taken in by plants. They are not absorbing in the sense of a
Bounty paper towel.

Most plants cannot absorb a nutrient as defined in the latter.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.