Old 18-01-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Growing adenium obesum

la ragazza ta_ta_ta wrote:
Hi at all

Last week I harvest some seeds from my adenium obesum and now I'd like
to growing them....but unfortunately I haven't a germination box ..

Do you think I can grow my seed room temperature? I think to set up
them in front of a
window in my living room....
do you think it could be a good idea?
Any other tips for this?

thank you

Haven't grown it from seed, but do have one growing indoors.

I keep mine in good light (it gets direct north-east to south-east sun for
about 5 hours in summer, but only 2 in winter). It is kept dry from
mid-October to mid-March. And I mean dry - no water at all, even though it
remains at room temperature. I would not attempt to keep it below about
12°C for any length of time, but I would be happy for someone to correct me
on this. It loses all its leaves as it dries off, but soon grows them when
I restart watering. A couple of months later it starts flowering.

It needs very well-drained soil (I used equal parts of JI3 and sharp sand,
but I doubt it would be fussy as long as it was well-drained). A dose of
weak tomato-type fertiliser should be ok every couple of weeks in summer,
but is not essential.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)