Old 17-01-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing adenium obesum

Hi at all

Last week I harvest some seeds from my adenium obesum and now I'd like
to growing them....but unfortunately I haven't a germination box ..

Do you think I can grow my seed room temperature? I think to set up
them in front of a
window in my living room....
do you think it could be a good idea?
Any other tips for this?

thank you
Old 18-01-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

la ragazza ta_ta_ta wrote:
Hi at all

Last week I harvest some seeds from my adenium obesum and now I'd like
to growing them....but unfortunately I haven't a germination box ..

Do you think I can grow my seed room temperature? I think to set up
them in front of a
window in my living room....
do you think it could be a good idea?
Any other tips for this?

thank you

Haven't grown it from seed, but do have one growing indoors.

I keep mine in good light (it gets direct north-east to south-east sun for
about 5 hours in summer, but only 2 in winter). It is kept dry from
mid-October to mid-March. And I mean dry - no water at all, even though it
remains at room temperature. I would not attempt to keep it below about
12°C for any length of time, but I would be happy for someone to correct me
on this. It loses all its leaves as it dries off, but soon grows them when
I restart watering. A couple of months later it starts flowering.

It needs very well-drained soil (I used equal parts of JI3 and sharp sand,
but I doubt it would be fussy as long as it was well-drained). A dose of
weak tomato-type fertiliser should be ok every couple of weeks in summer,
but is not essential.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 18-01-2008, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Jeff
I'm agree with you about growing indoor....but I didn't know tomato-
type fertiliser was good for adenium obesum...
I have never fertilezed it....I'm thinking to try it the next summer!

But If you have this plant, have you ever thought grown it from seed?
It's shame....

However thank you very much for your answer....

Bye bye
la ragazza tatata