Old 19-01-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello, an old newbie

Billit says...

Hello All,

Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly
reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to
offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Billit

Welcome to URG! You will find a good mix of gardening
skills here, from beginner through to expert, plus a few
folks who just like to stick their oar in. At times it's
more like a social club of gardeners rather than strictly
just gardening topics, which I think is nice.

As you get up to speed with the internet you may find it
better to use a proper newsreader to access the group
rather than Garden Banter. Garden Banter irritates some
posters because it is a commercial organisation that nicks
postings from here to put on their own web site. Your
choice though obviously - I'm not a net nanny!

I get the impression that most people here try to avoid
pesticides and other chemicals potentially dangerous to
humans, however most take a balanced approach but for some
it is a passion.

Are you a fruit and veg gardener or flowers or both?

I'm always on the lookout for expert advice with my garden.
I'm keen but still a relative beginner compared to most
here. :-)
--
David in Normandy