Old 19-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered User

Smile Hello, an old newbie

Hello All,

Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Billit
Old 19-01-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hello, an old newbie

Billit says...

Hello All,

Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly
reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to
offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Billit

Welcome to URG! You will find a good mix of gardening
skills here, from beginner through to expert, plus a few
folks who just like to stick their oar in. At times it's
more like a social club of gardeners rather than strictly
just gardening topics, which I think is nice.

As you get up to speed with the internet you may find it
better to use a proper newsreader to access the group
rather than Garden Banter. Garden Banter irritates some
posters because it is a commercial organisation that nicks
postings from here to put on their own web site. Your
choice though obviously - I'm not a net nanny!

I get the impression that most people here try to avoid
pesticides and other chemicals potentially dangerous to
humans, however most take a balanced approach but for some
it is a passion.

Are you a fruit and veg gardener or flowers or both?

I'm always on the lookout for expert advice with my garden.
I'm keen but still a relative beginner compared to most
here. :-)
--
David in Normandy
Old 19-01-2008, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Jan, 13:05, Billit wrote:
One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Hullo! Glad to see another one bites the dust! You could start looking
into enviromesh, yellow sticky traps, Savona, faty acids and oil
sprays, biological control, hand picking and companion planting to
keep those bugs at bay, if you haven't yet done so. I was invaded by
whitefly last year - just brushing against our brussel sprouts leaves
and a cloud of flies would follow me. This didn't stop me picking a
full bag of sprouts this morning and some leeks. Off course the
sprouts are not perfect - but listening to the radio and spending 20
minutes peeling them made me think of the year ahead and that I had
shared some of those delicious sprouts with my garden's friends and
foes. It's good for the soul )
Old 19-01-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Billit" wrote
Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

Welcome, try using Newsgroups direct. Go to Tools then Newsgroups and look
up what you are interested in and subscribe.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly
reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to
offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

Excellent, all gardeners welcome here.

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

I some times think the authorities are trying to stop people growing their
own food. Without Derris we will have to resort to the sort of chemicals I
don't like using on food crops. We do try to grow without synthetic
chemicals but won't lose a crop over it when there is something that will
clear the problem as a last resort.
There are so many pests down here nothing is safe and I don't think organic
gardening would achieve much other than frustration.
Despite rat/mice poison we lost all out peas and sweetcorn this year, am
getting some commercial killer stuff from a friend for this year, one meal
and they die.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2008, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 19, 1:05*pm, Billit wrote:
Hello All,

Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly
reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to
offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Billit

--
Billit

Hello Billit, I am Judith posting from the Auvergne in France. I am a
novice, although I have been gardening for years, I still consider my
knowledge is slight.

Judith

Old 19-01-2008, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden says...

Welcome, try using Newsgroups direct. Go to Tools then Newsgroups and look
up what you are interested in and subscribe.

Out of curiosity I've just had a look on the Garden Banter
web site and it doesn't show anybody's replies to the
original poster yet! I posted my reply hours ago. At this
rate the poster will have assumed everyone is ignoring him.
Yet another reason to use a proper news server and
newsgroup reader.
--
David in Normandy
Old 19-01-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy says...
Bob Hobden says...

Welcome, try using Newsgroups direct. Go to Tools then Newsgroups and look
up what you are interested in and subscribe.

Out of curiosity I've just had a look on the Garden Banter
web site and it doesn't show anybody's replies to the
original poster yet! I posted my reply hours ago. At this
rate the poster will have assumed everyone is ignoring him.
Yet another reason to use a proper news server and
newsgroup reader.

Everyone's replies have now reached Garden Banter at the
same time. It must be run by bus company managers - 10
hours delay then they all arrive together.
--
David in Normandy
Old 20-01-2008, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Billit" wrote
Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

snip
I some times think the authorities are trying to stop people growing their
own food. Without Derris we will have to resort to the sort of chemicals I
don't like using on food crops.

The Soil Association http://preview.tinyurl.com/yvsyh5 recommend derris,
but require farmers to apply for certification before use??

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Old 20-01-2008, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jan, 16:19, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
The Soil Association *http://preview.tinyurl.com/yvsyh5recommend derris,
but require farmers to apply for certification before use??

I think they only allow one application and as a last resort, hence
the certification perhaps. I'm not sure about this.
Old 20-01-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" moaned after
"Billit" wrote
Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

snip
I some times think the authorities are trying to stop people growing
their own food. Without Derris we will have to resort to the sort of
chemicals I don't like using on food crops.

The Soil Association http://preview.tinyurl.com/yvsyh5 recommend derris,
but require farmers to apply for certification before use??

Yes, I had noticed this..

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...roducts_id=525

However, Rotenone is a lethal poison and it doesn't take much to kill a
human, a few grams. Is this the reason it's coming off the shelf? Anyone
know?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-01-2008, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Jan, 18:29, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
However, Rotenone is a lethal poison and it doesn't take much to kill a
human, a few grams. Is this the reason it's coming off the shelf? Anyone
know?

Wasn't it because of the dangers of it going in water ways - it's
lethal to fish and all water living creatures.
Old 21-01-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

helene wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
However, Rotenone is a lethal poison and it doesn't take much to kill a
human, a few grams. Is this the reason it's coming off the shelf? Anyone
know?

Wasn't it because of the dangers of it going in water ways - it's
lethal to fish and all water living creatures.

Lots of things we use are lethal to waterlife, why should the powers that be
consider Rotenone for removal from retail sale? I bet professional gardeners
like the RHS at Wisley can and will still use it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'David in Normandy[_6_
;770954'

Are you a fruit and veg gardener or flowers or both?
--
David in Normandy
Hi David,

Sorry about the delay in replying, but I' had some finger trouble. I have dabbled in all sorts over the years, but mostly concentrate on fruit & veg these days.

Please bear with me folks, this is still very much space age for me, but my son and grandsons help me out when they visit.

Billit

Hello, a newbie here Gilli99 United Kingdom 39 19-03-2009 06:01 PM
Hello newbie here anneymouse Ponds 7 16-05-2006 02:39 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Newbie - Hello Gillian T United Kingdom 7 18-03-2004 01:23 PM