Old 19-01-2008, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Hello, an old newbie

On 19 Jan, 13:05, Billit wrote:
One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

Hullo! Glad to see another one bites the dust! You could start looking
into enviromesh, yellow sticky traps, Savona, faty acids and oil
sprays, biological control, hand picking and companion planting to
keep those bugs at bay, if you haven't yet done so. I was invaded by
whitefly last year - just brushing against our brussel sprouts leaves
and a cloud of flies would follow me. This didn't stop me picking a
full bag of sprouts this morning and some leeks. Off course the
sprouts are not perfect - but listening to the radio and spending 20
minutes peeling them made me think of the year ahead and that I had
shared some of those delicious sprouts with my garden's friends and
foes. It's good for the soul )