Old 19-01-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Hello, an old newbie

"Billit" wrote
Please bear with me as I'm a new 'silver surfer' so I'm still very much
a beginner with the Internet and newsgroups.

Welcome, try using Newsgroups direct. Go to Tools then Newsgroups and look
up what you are interested in and subscribe.

I have been a keen gardener for the last 60 years or so, and I'm slowly
reading threads on the site with interest - hopefully I may be able to
offer some advice in the fullness of time!!

Excellent, all gardeners welcome here.

One thing I have recently learnt is that Derris in all forms is to be
phased out later this year. I note from searching the site that it
enjoys different levels of acceptance, but I have always found it
useful. Is anyone aware of this and of any suitable alternatives??

I some times think the authorities are trying to stop people growing their
own food. Without Derris we will have to resort to the sort of chemicals I
don't like using on food crops. We do try to grow without synthetic
chemicals but won't lose a crop over it when there is something that will
clear the problem as a last resort.
There are so many pests down here nothing is safe and I don't think organic
gardening would achieve much other than frustration.
Despite rat/mice poison we lost all out peas and sweetcorn this year, am
getting some commercial killer stuff from a friend for this year, one meal
and they die.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden