Old 23-01-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default Roark's Website

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

Maybe if we sat outside at night I'd feel differently. We don't though.
We're either on our PCs

That I understand...

or watching TV after dark

But not that :-)

We do all our porch
sitting in the afternoon when the cheapo lilies from Wally World are in
full bloom. :-))

This isn't only the bible belt, it's also the mosquito belt. :-(

We always found that the fish & dragonflies took care of any potential
mosquito problem from our pond in Ontario, and we were otherwise not near
enough water to have a problem.

I believe most come from our neighbor's stagnant shallow stock pond. I was
covered in mosquitoes and small nasty stinging biting black flies as I
walked past it one evening going to a neighbors house. I've put cull GF in
that stock pond more than a few times but the herons pick them off. In fear
of drawing the herons I stopped doing that.

In Nova Scotia, the flies (more blacklfies
than mosquitoes) are awful nearby, but the onshore evening breeze seems to
keep them away from our property.

Lucky you for having a breeze. :-) I wish we would catch a breeze in the
warm weather. This far inland there is seldom a breeze strong enough to
work my windchimes once the nice weather sets in.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.