Old 18-01-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Roark's Website

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:36:16 CST, adavisus
wrote:

Assuming it is one of the very robust fast growing varieties, calculate
the labour cost involved....

That's what I have noted. My most expensive's, just grow and don't make a
lot of (or any) babies, SO much easier to deal with in the spring. Just
trim the tuber, set it back against the pot's edge and refill the empty
void with fresh dirt.

That's exactly what I do with all mine. :-) Babies? My lilies don't make
babies as they're all the hardy type since tropicals don't survive the
winters here.

If they do make a baby or two, it is worth more than
what one can find at Walmart... that every noob has in their pond already.

Only if you have a market for them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-01-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:21:40 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

That's exactly what I do with all mine. :-) Babies? My lilies don't make
babies as they're all the hardy type since tropicals don't survive the
winters here.

Then what are you dividing off and giving (or selling) to people? That's
what I meant by babies. I wasn't talking tropicals. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-01-2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

That's exactly what I do with all mine. :-) Babies? My lilies don't
make
babies as they're all the hardy type since tropicals don't survive the
winters here.

Then what are you dividing off and giving (or selling) to people? That's
what I meant by babies. I wasn't talking tropicals. ~ jan

================================
Sorry, I misunderstood. I call them cuttings or divisions.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-01-2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

They have names, but not scientific ones. I have never seen lilies
labelled as "Odorata" in places like Walmart and Home Depot.

I only found one old package in the shed. It had a pic of a lily and says,
"Fabiola." I remember another was called "Red Byron" or something like
that. The scientific names wouldn't mean much to the average ponder I
wouldn't think.

No, they wouldn't. But unscientific names mean nothing to anybody.

If so, they can always make note of the names and Google them.

It's just a name. Many times it bears no resemblance to anything in
literature...

Speaking on for myself,... I only had to get rid of one lily. I wouldn't
waste my money on tropical lilies,... that is unless I can find them for
less than $4 each. ;-)

They're not a waste - but of course it depends what you want. My favorite
lily was a night-blooming viviparous tropical - I can't remember exactly
what I paid, but probably over $50. The mere fact that it was always
blooming when we sat by the pond in the evening made it worthwhile -
especially since my day-bloomers were never out when I left for work, and
closed shortly after I got home. I managed to get some of the offshoots to
survive the winter indoors, but I never did get them to bloom a second
season.
--
derek

Old 20-01-2008, 02:40 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan[_3_] View Post
Roark's website is back up:
www.click2roark.com ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us
WHO MADE THAT WEBSITE? that is proper rubbish like my YARD (and remember people i live above a chippy...)

the code is proper poo
__________________
I'm the New Gardening Daddy... You beta watch out cause I'm the new Kid on the Lawn..!!!!
I'm gonna hoe Yo Gravel.....

Old 20-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

-------------- I can't remember exactly
what I paid, but probably over $50. The mere fact that it was always
blooming when we sat by the pond in the evening made it worthwhile -
especially since my day-bloomers were never out when I left for work, and
closed shortly after I got home. I managed to get some of the offshoots to
survive the winter indoors, but I never did get them to bloom a second
season-----------

Hmmm, you might check out ebay as Summer gets a little closer. $10 is a more typical price for a Tina, Islamorada, St. Louis Gold, Lavender Lace, Ganna Walska (quite robust viviparous day bloom tropical waterlilies) Night bloomers, and many other day bloom varieties, direct from the grower

Alas nurseries and resellers put quite a mark up on seasonal items such as tropical waterlilies, marking them up as much as $30 to $60

As they are very easy to cultivate indoors and a better price out of season, no need to fret too much about being stuck with local resellers and their mark ups.

Trop tubers make for quite reliable little parcels travelling in the mild spells through Winter and Spring, its a good time of year to do trades with collectors, before the plants start to become sprawly towards Summer

Regards, andy
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
Old 21-01-2008, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

[...]

====================================
Maybe if we sat outside at night I'd feel differently. We don't though.
We're either on our PCs or watching TV after dark We do all our porch
sitting in the afternoon when the cheapo lilies from Wally World are in full
bloom. :-))

This isn't only the bible belt, it's also the mosquito belt. :-(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-01-2008, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

Maybe if we sat outside at night I'd feel differently. We don't though.
We're either on our PCs

That I understand...

or watching TV after dark

But not that :-)

We do all our porch
sitting in the afternoon when the cheapo lilies from Wally World are in
full bloom. :-))

This isn't only the bible belt, it's also the mosquito belt. :-(

We always found that the fish & dragonflies took care of any potential
mosquito problem from our pond in Ontario, and we were otherwise not near
enough water to have a problem. In Nova Scotia, the flies (more blacklfies
than mosquitoes) are awful nearby, but the onshore evening breeze seems to
keep them away from our property.
--
derek

Old 23-01-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

Maybe if we sat outside at night I'd feel differently. We don't though.
We're either on our PCs

That I understand...

or watching TV after dark

But not that :-)

We do all our porch
sitting in the afternoon when the cheapo lilies from Wally World are in
full bloom. :-))

This isn't only the bible belt, it's also the mosquito belt. :-(

We always found that the fish & dragonflies took care of any potential
mosquito problem from our pond in Ontario, and we were otherwise not near
enough water to have a problem.

I believe most come from our neighbor's stagnant shallow stock pond. I was
covered in mosquitoes and small nasty stinging biting black flies as I
walked past it one evening going to a neighbors house. I've put cull GF in
that stock pond more than a few times but the herons pick them off. In fear
of drawing the herons I stopped doing that.

In Nova Scotia, the flies (more blacklfies
than mosquitoes) are awful nearby, but the onshore evening breeze seems to
keep them away from our property.

Lucky you for having a breeze. :-) I wish we would catch a breeze in the
warm weather. This far inland there is seldom a breeze strong enough to
work my windchimes once the nice weather sets in.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: