Old 25-01-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default How close to the wall?

When it comes to plums, the books have it all wrong for cordons/ super
spindles , as you keep pinching out the fruit buds. Far better to
leave them to be a bit more lax, with side shoots of around 12inches.
As a result they needed to be planted further away than the usual 9in
that you wold for an apple or pear cordon. Again, do not lean in,
whilst true for may wall grown fruit, you are not using the wall as a
training support, just as a heat sump.

When I go up the allotment I will take some pictures and post them on
Flickr.

Regards

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire.