Old 24-01-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How close to the wall?

If I plant some supercolumn plums and gages against a south-facing wall
of the house, how far from the wall is it best to plant them?

Should they be three inches away, so that they get maximum shelter and
warmth from the wall?

Or a foot away, so that the roots can spread out, and fruit be borne on
the back of the stem?
--
Chris
Old 25-01-2008, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ], ] says...
If I plant some supercolumn plums and gages against a south-facing wall
of the house, how far from the wall is it best to plant them?

Should they be three inches away, so that they get maximum shelter and
warmth from the wall?

Or a foot away, so that the roots can spread out, and fruit be borne on
the back of the stem?

Normally you plant around a foot away and lean the plants back against
the wall so as to not be as dry and still get advantage from the wall.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 25-01-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

When it comes to plums, the books have it all wrong for cordons/ super
spindles , as you keep pinching out the fruit buds. Far better to
leave them to be a bit more lax, with side shoots of around 12inches.
As a result they needed to be planted further away than the usual 9in
that you wold for an apple or pear cordon. Again, do not lean in,
whilst true for may wall grown fruit, you are not using the wall as a
training support, just as a heat sump.

When I go up the allotment I will take some pictures and post them on
Flickr.

Regards

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire.