Old 26-01-2008, 12:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default When to repot? 101

"K Barrett" wrote in message . ..
What a bunch of nice green growing root tips! Did you see the article in
teh Orchid Digest magazine about watering? It was a reprint of an article
written in the mid 1960s. The author comments on green growing root tips as
a measure of the effectiveness of one's watering program. Nice long green
tips = good watering habits. If you don't subscribe maybe your mentor does
and you can borrow the issue. Eric Christenson has some nice comments on
all the taxonomic name changes, too

No I didn't but will check with Ed.
Have you been to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate? They take their catts
when they are like this and pop them into the next size larger plastic pot
and scantly infill with granite gravel and hang that. The catts seem to
love it. I believe they use rock because bark (good quality bark) is
getting scarce. Others say its becasue the staff is lazy. Personally I
can't believe that because it takes more effort to keep a rock filled pot
evenly moist than a bark filled one. But people have their opinions, don't
they?

Yes I have seen 1st hand, of what you are talking about. My orchid friend that
does those silent auctions won a few & he had some dups which I purchased from him.
I have since repotted them finding the rocks too heavy.
Can you imagine the shipping? I believe one can do this silent bidding on the internet &
have these stud plants shipped. Too rich for me!

I've attached a picture of one of my 'way past time to repot' catts, too. I
think I win! LOL!!

(((LOL))) I have some of those too. Cheers Wendy

Also I've attached a pic of the inside of a SBOE pot. If you are good you
can see the 4" pot inside the 6" pot. (and the roots hanging over...)

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Quite possibly the best example of a plant that needs repotting no?
Cheers Wendy