Old 25-01-2008, 06:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default When to repot? 101

Quite possibly the best example of a plant that needs repotting no?
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
When to repot?    101-roots-dsc01637.jpg
Old 25-01-2008, 07:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

yeah but it's a little late - those roots are too long. But I'd repot it
(carefully) anyway Assuming you can get it out of the pot. Otherwise,
you can just let it use the pot as a "mount".

Jerry

news

Old 25-01-2008, 11:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Actually, no.

It IS, however, a great example of a plant that needed to be repotted a long
time ago!

news

Old 25-01-2008, 04:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

What a bunch of nice green growing root tips! Did you see the article in
teh Orchid Digest magazine about watering? It was a reprint of an article
written in the mid 1960s. The author comments on green growing root tips as
a measure of the effectiveness of one's watering program. Nice long green
tips = good watering habits. If you don't subscribe maybe your mentor does
and you can borrow the issue. Eric Christenson has some nice comments on
all the taxonomic name changes, too

Have you been to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate? They take their catts
when they are like this and pop them into the next size larger plastic pot
and scantly infill with granite gravel and hang that. The catts seem to
love it. I believe they use rock because bark (good quality bark) is
getting scarce. Others say its becasue the staff is lazy. Personally I
can't believe that because it takes more effort to keep a rock filled pot
evenly moist than a bark filled one. But people have their opinions, don't
they?

I've attached a picture of one of my 'way past time to repot' catts, too. I
think I win! LOL!!

Also I've attached a pic of the inside of a SBOE pot. If you are good you
can see the 4" pot inside the 6" pot. (and the roots hanging over...)

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Quite possibly the best example of a plant that needs repotting no?
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
When to repot?    101-dsc00037.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00036.JPG (33.7 KB, 127 views)
Old 25-01-2008, 09:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:19:36 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

[...]

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Quite possibly the best example of a plant that needs repotting no?
Cheers Wendy

That's certainly a winner, but the way those roots are reaching out, I'd be a
little fearful of entering your GH.
What do you use for shelving, Kath?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 26-01-2008, 12:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

You guys are correct & so I simply "potted it on" but into a wooden slatted
basket, I may add some pieces of big bark.
Kathy, um well you deserve your own personal reply so hold on.
Cheers Wendy
news

Old 26-01-2008, 12:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message . ..
What a bunch of nice green growing root tips! Did you see the article in
teh Orchid Digest magazine about watering? It was a reprint of an article
written in the mid 1960s. The author comments on green growing root tips as
a measure of the effectiveness of one's watering program. Nice long green
tips = good watering habits. If you don't subscribe maybe your mentor does
and you can borrow the issue. Eric Christenson has some nice comments on
all the taxonomic name changes, too

No I didn't but will check with Ed.
Have you been to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate? They take their catts
when they are like this and pop them into the next size larger plastic pot
and scantly infill with granite gravel and hang that. The catts seem to
love it. I believe they use rock because bark (good quality bark) is
getting scarce. Others say its becasue the staff is lazy. Personally I
can't believe that because it takes more effort to keep a rock filled pot
evenly moist than a bark filled one. But people have their opinions, don't
they?

Yes I have seen 1st hand, of what you are talking about. My orchid friend that
does those silent auctions won a few & he had some dups which I purchased from him.
I have since repotted them finding the rocks too heavy.
Can you imagine the shipping? I believe one can do this silent bidding on the internet &
have these stud plants shipped. Too rich for me!

I've attached a picture of one of my 'way past time to repot' catts, too. I
think I win! LOL!!

(((LOL))) I have some of those too. Cheers Wendy

Also I've attached a pic of the inside of a SBOE pot. If you are good you
can see the 4" pot inside the 6" pot. (and the roots hanging over...)

K Barrett

news

Old 26-01-2008, 05:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

The shelving is called 'egg crate' and is actually a diffuser for overhead
fluorescent lights. You can find it in the lighting aisles at Home Depot.
Now a days it might be a bit pricey. I think there are better solutions
available at places like Farmtek. http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home
I think I spent $8 per panel for the eggcrate... nah that couldn't be
right... maybe it was $4 per panel. Anyway by the time you add them all
up it was costly. I tell Joe that if we ever move I'll have to tear down
and ship the GH becasue I'd never be able to afford rebuilding it. Buying
all the plastic, the egg crate, I don't think they make the pressure treated
lumber the same way either...

K Barrett
.com...

Old 26-01-2008, 05:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

My phal looks just about like your "example" - but it is in bloom since last
February (2007!). I thought it was done blooming, but lo and behold: one
brand new large flower spike, and on the one that I thought it was done,
there are no less than 3 spikes forming already. The poor thing needs to be
repotted - can I do that while it's blooming? I heard it is a bad idea, but
then I am not an expert. Please advise! - Maggie's Mom.

news

Old 26-01-2008, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Sheesh, at my place we consider that "just about ready to move up"! Kenni

news

Old 28-01-2008, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:38:10 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

Sheesh, at my place we consider that "just about ready to move up"! Kenni

"Wendy7" wrote in message
news
Quite possibly the best example of a plant that needs repotting no?
Cheers Wendy

If I really don't want to split the plant I would sacrifice the pot
and break the back out remove the bad roots, bark and probably the
last 3 back bulbs just to clean it up then pot up with the front of
the pot where it is attached in the new pot.

SuE

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
Filter Design 101 Question AngrieWoman Ponds 10 30-05-2003 04:20 PM
Pond Digging 101 BenignVanilla Ponds 13 26-03-2003 09:44 PM
[IBC] root theory 101 Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 27-01-2003 04:26 AM