Old 26-01-2008, 02:15 PM
crustyshoveller crustyshoveller is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by symplastless View Post
"Charles" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:05:54 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

The fungi themselves, growing alone, are not called "mycorrhizae".
VAM mycorrhizae are produced by any of about 200 fungi belonging to
the genus Glomeromycota when they grown on or in or in sufficiently
close proximity to tree roots. A phylogenetic tree for that genus can
be found at
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~schuessler/amphylo/. Note
that none of the species is called "mycorrhizae".

If there's no fungus then there are no mycorrhizae. If there is no
tree there are no mycorrhize. It's when you have _both_ that
mycorrizae occur.

So then grass, marigolds, grapevines, not being trees, don't have
mycorrhiza?

Not from my understanding. I just found this list of plants which form
endomycorrhizae. Please do not quote me on the accuracy of the list. Just
an example.
Acacia, Agapanthus, Ailanthus, Alder, Alfalfa, Almond, Apple, Apricot,
Artichoke, Ash, Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo, Banana, Basil, Bayberry, Bean,
Begonia, Black Locust, Blackberry, Box Elder, Boxwood, Buckeye, Bulbs (all),
Burning Bush, Cacao, Cactus, Camellia, Carrot, Cassava, Catalpa, Ceanothus,
Celery, Cherry, Chokeberry, Chrysanthemum, Citrus (all), Clover, Coconut,
Coffee, Coral Tree, Corn, Cotton, Cottonwood, Crabapple, Cryptomeria,
Cucumber, Currant, Cypress, Dogwood, Eggplant, Elm, Euonymus, Fern, Fescue,
Fig, Forsythia, Fountain Grass, Fuschia, Gardenia, Garlic, Geranium, Ginko,
Grapes (all), Grass, Gum, Hackberry, Hawthorne, Hibiscus, Holly,
Hophornbeam, Hornbeam, Horsechestnut, Impatiens, Jojoba, Juniper, Kiwi,
Leek, Lettuce, Lily, Locust, London, Magnolia, Mahogany, Mahonia, Mango,
Maples (all), Marigold, Melons (all), Mesquite, Millet, Mimosa, Morning
Glory, Mulberry, Monkeypod, Nasturtium, Okra, Olive, Onion, Pacific Yew,
Palms (all), Palmetto, Pampas Grass, Papaya, Paulownia, Passion Fruit, Paw
Paw, Pea, Peach, Peanut, Pear, Pecan, Pepper, Pistachio, Persimmon,
Pittosporum, Plum, Poinsettia, Potato, Poplar, Raintree, Raphiolepis,
Raspberry, Redbud, Redwood, Rice, Rose, Russian Olive, Ryegrass, Sagebrush,
Sassafras, Serviceberry, Sourwood, Soybean, Squash (all), Strawberry, Sudan
Grass, Sugar Cane, Sumac, Sunflower, Sweet Gum, Sweet Potato, Sycamore, Tea,
Tobacco, Tomato, Tree-of-heaven, Tupelo, Walnut, Wheat, Yam, Yellow Poplar,
Yucca.

Better said, without the plant root tissues, or without the fungus tissues
you cannot have a mycorrhiza. Again the word mycorrhiza is Greek. "mycor"
meaning fungi. "rhiza" meaning root. It is a composite organ made up of
plant root tissues and fungi tissues. Is it root or fungus? The answer is
yes. People don't like that kind of question.

The same site had a list of plants that do not respond to endo or ecto.
They had pine and oak on the list. Anytime I dug pine or oak roots I found
ectomycorrhizae. So please do not quote that list.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.