Old 26-01-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] christian9997@hotmail.com is offline

Default When to remove mulch (from bulbs)?

On Jan 26, 3:46*pm, Sacha wrote:
Mulching helps to suppress weeds but it doesn't stop them completely.
Often, they're easier to pull out when they've come through mulch. *Bulbs
growth is strong and will force itself through tarmac and tiny cracks in
paving stones etc. *I'm just wondering why you were told to mulch bulbs. *Do
you live in a very cold place, though I'm still not sure why one would mulch
bulbs? *I don't think I've ever heard of the practice, though it doesn't
mean it's not a good idea if there's a reason behind it!

Yes it's because of the cold. On the packs it says "gegen Frost
abdecken" which means "mulch against frost".

I live in Zurich (eastern part of Switzerland) so if I remember
correctly that's 2 climate zones colder than most of the UK. Also I
got the bulbs from Aldi so I suppose the instructions must be mainly
for Germany. I think some parts of Germany get even colder than
Zurich.

But like you say I am not sure if it is really useful. I got some
Crocuses in another shop and there is no mention of mulching on the
pack. But better be safe than sorry ;-)