Old 28-01-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default What plants can I grow on a trellis?

On 28/1/08 12:00, in article
,
" wrote:

Hi, I'm goin to put a trellis on top of the fence between me and my
neighbour to get a bit more privacy but I have no idea of what plant
to grow on it. Ideally I would like it to be thick enough to provide
good privacy by july this year, and not to be too invasive (too bushy)
and of course if it comes with nice flowers, well so much the better.
Is there such a plant and if not what are my options?

TIA

My first reaction to this is question is almost always Holboellia coriacea
but in fact, much depends on where you live. If you can tell us, we can
help you more. It's evergreen, has small, highly-scented flowers in late
April - May (down here) but the downside for you is that you'll have to hack
it back with shears each autumn. But that shouldn't take long.
There is also the evergreen Clematis armandii but your garden's climate
might not be suitable for that.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk