Old 28-01-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants can I grow on a trellis?

Hi, I'm goin to put a trellis on top of the fence between me and my
neighbour to get a bit more privacy but I have no idea of what plant
to grow on it. Ideally I would like it to be thick enough to provide
good privacy by july this year, and not to be too invasive (too bushy)
and of course if it comes with nice flowers, well so much the better.
Is there such a plant and if not what are my options?

TIA
Old 28-01-2008, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

See, shows you how much I know, I didn't even think to say where I am
and climate obviously impacts on plants! Well, I'm in Kettering
(England). I like your suggestion of Holboellia coriacea it looks
really pretty but I would be concerned about having to cut it back
because I don't want to annoy my neighbours (it'll be growing on their
side too). I know this is a stupid question but, how does the plant
get from the soil at ground level to the trellis which is 6 foot above
ground level? I only want it to grow on the trellis and perhaps
overhang the top of the fence a bit.
Old 28-01-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 14:29, wrote:
See, shows you how much I know, I didn't even think to say where I am
and climate obviously impacts on plants! Well, I'm in Kettering
(England). I like your suggestion of Holboellia coriacea it looks
really pretty but I would be concerned about having to cut it back
because I don't want to annoy my neighbours (it'll be growing on their
side too). I know this is a stupid question but, how does the plant
get from the soil at ground level to the trellis which is 6 foot above
ground level? I only want it to grow on the trellis and perhaps
overhang the top of the fence a bit.

Sorry for butting in but .... 6ft?! Your trellis is hanged on a fence
6ft off the ground?! You need to bring your trellis to 1ft from the
ground and put another to fix above and another above this I'd
imagine. Failing this, you can do wires - depends on your fence. Then
you'll just guide your plant with a cane planted in the ground next to
it and then attached the cane to the trellis which will guide the
plant. Then once established remove the cane. Depending on the plant
chosen you will need to perhaps shade it's roots (base of plant), or
lean the plant towards the fence if you have concrete base fence. It's
pretty dry at the base of these and you want the best possible start
for your plant.

Do you want an evergreen and which orientation your fence faces?
Old 28-01-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry for butting in but .... 6ft?! Your trellis is hanged on a fence
6ft off the ground?! You need to bring your trellis to 1ft from the
ground and put another to fix above and another above this I'd
imagine.

I think this is just my general lack of knowledge about this sort of
thing.
The trellis I envisioned using is about a foot wide and as long as you
like.
I was just going to nail this to the top of the 6ft fence making the
top of
the trellis about 7ft from the ground and I thought I would be able to
grow
a plant just in the trellis and not have it grow too much down the
fence.
I think I see what you mean though, I have to "train" the plant up
something
(a cane) and then presumably guide it along the trellis a it grows?

I would prefer evergreen and it musn't shed leaves onto my neighbours
land.
The fence runs North-South.

Old 28-01-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 12:00*pm, wrote:
Hi, I'm goin to put a trellis on top of the fence between me and my
neighbour to get a bit more privacy but I have no idea of what plant
to grow on it. Ideally I would like it to be thick enough to provide
good privacy by july this year, and not to be too invasive (too bushy)
and of course if it comes with nice flowers, well so much the better.
Is there such a plant and if not what are my options?

TIA

What about Jasmine?

Judith
Old 28-01-2008, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/1/08 15:44, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

All this is possible but you do need to be aware of windage and only you can
know how much of this your garden suffers. If it's a very windy garden,
that trellis could be blown straight off. There may also be bye-laws or
residents' laws or somesuch that prohibit going above 6', so it would be
worth checking your deeds.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2008, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 15:44, wrote:
I would prefer evergreen and it musn't shed leaves onto my neighbours
land.
The fence runs North-South.

I've now realised that you are the same person selling your house in
July, if I'm not mistaken. The suggestion of Holboellia coriacea is
lovely. It doesn't have to be totally cut down to the ground but
rather 'keep in check' as it bushes towards the top. It climbs as it
twist its stems - so you need wires to let it climb to the trellis.

But since you're selling your house and you seem to want to do a good
job in your garden, perhaps you could tell us what you already have
and we could help you compliment the plants you have, to make a good
effect once you're selling. Take a walk around your garden and make
notes of questions or ideas you have and let us know. (I'm dying to
find out!!!). How old is your house and which part of the country do
you live?
Old 29-01-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/1/08 12:43, in article
,
" wrote:

snip
which part of the country do
you live?

This question has been asked and answered. Kettering.

Old 29-01-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 12:51, Sacha wrote:
which part of the country do
you live?

This question has been asked and answered. *Kettering.

Oops. I need to find the style of the house. It usually gives a good
idea of what kind of garden goes with it, wouldn't you think?