Old 28-01-2008, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default What plants can I grow on a trellis?

On 28 Jan, 14:29, wrote:
See, shows you how much I know, I didn't even think to say where I am
and climate obviously impacts on plants! Well, I'm in Kettering
(England). I like your suggestion of Holboellia coriacea it looks
really pretty but I would be concerned about having to cut it back
because I don't want to annoy my neighbours (it'll be growing on their
side too). I know this is a stupid question but, how does the plant
get from the soil at ground level to the trellis which is 6 foot above
ground level? I only want it to grow on the trellis and perhaps
overhang the top of the fence a bit.

Sorry for butting in but .... 6ft?! Your trellis is hanged on a fence
6ft off the ground?! You need to bring your trellis to 1ft from the
ground and put another to fix above and another above this I'd
imagine. Failing this, you can do wires - depends on your fence. Then
you'll just guide your plant with a cane planted in the ground next to
it and then attached the cane to the trellis which will guide the
plant. Then once established remove the cane. Depending on the plant
chosen you will need to perhaps shade it's roots (base of plant), or
lean the plant towards the fence if you have concrete base fence. It's
pretty dry at the base of these and you want the best possible start
for your plant.

Do you want an evergreen and which orientation your fence faces?