Old 28-01-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Tidying up old shrubs

In article ,
writes:
| On 28 Jan, 12:18, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
| I am at the moment struggling with a very big and old Pyracantha, brambles
| have grown up thro it which has made matter`s worse, says she reaching for
| another packet of sticking plasters. sigh
|
| You two must be spychic or something ... I have a very large buddleia
| and I couldn't squeeze my secateur around its branches yesterday. I
| abandonned all work after takling my hawthorn (I know I'm a bit late
| but I need to clear lots of inside branches along with some seeking
| the sun and therefore badly twisting).
|
| So I'm looking for the first time for some ratchet, but then I should
| perhaps go for a bypass one ... I just don't know anymore. I've pruned
| for so long with secateurs given to me as presents, and there is the
| problem now. So I could do with a nice present to myself. Any
| suggestions - oh, very petite hands here.
|
| Pass us a plaster Kate, you're a love ... ;o)

You shouldn't need too many of those for a mere buddleia - and what
you need for a pyracantha is liquid anaesthetic and gouging needles
(which is why I got rid of mine). Hawthorn does scratch rather, I
agree, but rarely deeply enough that I bother with plasters - I just
drip :-)

More seriously, I suggest not bothering with a ratchet device.
You need a two-handled pruner, yes, which will cut up to 1"-1.5"
(depending on variety). Above that, it is generally easier to
move to a pruning or bow saw. I was, of course, using a bow saw,
as my hazel stems were up to 8" across.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.