Old 27-01-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tidying up old shrubs

Well, now is the time of year to cut out old stems from many shrubs,
especially when they have been neglected for a while. I have spent
3 days doing that on one shrub.

Well, it is a 20+ year old hazel ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2008, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Well, now is the time of year to cut out old stems from many shrubs,
especially when they have been neglected for a while. I have spent
3 days doing that on one shrub.

Well, it is a 20+ year old hazel ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I am at the moment struggling with a very big and old Pyracantha, brambles
have grown up thro it which has made matter`s worse, says she reaching for
another packet of sticking plasters. sigh

kate

Old 28-01-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 12:18, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I am at the moment struggling with a very big and old Pyracantha, brambles
have grown up thro it which has made matter`s worse, says she reaching for
another packet of sticking plasters. sigh

You two must be spychic or something ... I have a very large buddleia
and I couldn't squeeze my secateur around its branches yesterday. I
abandonned all work after takling my hawthorn (I know I'm a bit late
but I need to clear lots of inside branches along with some seeking
the sun and therefore badly twisting).

So I'm looking for the first time for some ratchet, but then I should
perhaps go for a bypass one ... I just don't know anymore. I've pruned
for so long with secateurs given to me as presents, and there is the
problem now. So I could do with a nice present to myself. Any
suggestions - oh, very petite hands here.

Pass us a plaster Kate, you're a love ... ;o)
Old 28-01-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

LOL pity you are not near me we could help each other. I have some long
handled ratchet thingy's and find them very good, cannot remember where I
bought them, local farmers shop I think, well worth having some.

Old 28-01-2008, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
writes:
| On 28 Jan, 12:18, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
| I am at the moment struggling with a very big and old Pyracantha, brambles
| have grown up thro it which has made matter`s worse, says she reaching for
| another packet of sticking plasters. sigh
|
| You two must be spychic or something ... I have a very large buddleia
| and I couldn't squeeze my secateur around its branches yesterday. I
| abandonned all work after takling my hawthorn (I know I'm a bit late
| but I need to clear lots of inside branches along with some seeking
| the sun and therefore badly twisting).
|
| So I'm looking for the first time for some ratchet, but then I should
| perhaps go for a bypass one ... I just don't know anymore. I've pruned
| for so long with secateurs given to me as presents, and there is the
| problem now. So I could do with a nice present to myself. Any
| suggestions - oh, very petite hands here.
|
| Pass us a plaster Kate, you're a love ... ;o)

You shouldn't need too many of those for a mere buddleia - and what
you need for a pyracantha is liquid anaesthetic and gouging needles
(which is why I got rid of mine). Hawthorn does scratch rather, I
agree, but rarely deeply enough that I bother with plasters - I just
drip :-)

More seriously, I suggest not bothering with a ratchet device.
You need a two-handled pruner, yes, which will cut up to 1"-1.5"
(depending on variety). Above that, it is generally easier to
move to a pruning or bow saw. I was, of course, using a bow saw,
as my hazel stems were up to 8" across.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-01-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 21:36, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
You shouldn't need too many of those for a mere buddleia - and what
you need for a pyracantha is liquid anaesthetic and gouging needles
(which is why I got rid of mine). *Hawthorn does scratch rather, I
agree, but rarely deeply enough that I bother with plasters - I just
drip :-)

So manly ... faint

More seriously, I suggest not bothering with a ratchet device.
You need a two-handled pruner, yes, which will cut up to 1"-1.5"
(depending on variety). *Above that, it is generally easier to
move to a pruning or bow saw. *I was, of course, using a bow saw,
as my hazel stems were up to 8" across.

Two handled pruner it is then. I have a little saw, smart folding
thing, which I often use. But it's over 1" that I'd like to use a
secateur and perhaps above 1.5" using the two handled pruner device
you've suggested. Perfect. Thank you.
Old 29-01-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 21:24, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
LOL * pity you are not near me we could help each other. I have some long
handled ratchet thingy's and find them very good, cannot remember where I
bought them, local farmers shop I think, well worth having some.

Oh, I don't mind climbing to prune but the ratchet action sounds so
good - I immagine using those long handled ratchet is effortless,
minus the thorns pains off course ) I'll look into those as well.
Thank you.