Old 29-01-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Tidying up old shrubs

On 28 Jan, 21:36, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
You shouldn't need too many of those for a mere buddleia - and what
you need for a pyracantha is liquid anaesthetic and gouging needles
(which is why I got rid of mine). *Hawthorn does scratch rather, I
agree, but rarely deeply enough that I bother with plasters - I just
drip :-)

So manly ... faint

More seriously, I suggest not bothering with a ratchet device.
You need a two-handled pruner, yes, which will cut up to 1"-1.5"
(depending on variety). *Above that, it is generally easier to
move to a pruning or bow saw. *I was, of course, using a bow saw,
as my hazel stems were up to 8" across.

Two handled pruner it is then. I have a little saw, smart folding
thing, which I often use. But it's over 1" that I'd like to use a
secateur and perhaps above 1.5" using the two handled pruner device
you've suggested. Perfect. Thank you.