Old 29-01-2008, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Preventing grass encroachment on vegetable bed

On 29 Jan, 13:42, "Gordon" wrote:
My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of preventing the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their edge
along the grass/soil boundary?

You can use wooden edges, which I do. They look nice. If you have a
very long edge to do, since it's a field you've mentioned, what about
just a trench to one spit depth about 2" wide. We do this on our
allotments - saves money - and you can see the grass trying to come
through sometimes, and just pick it out.