Old 29-01-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Preventing grass encroachment on vegetable bed

My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of preventing the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their edge
along the grass/soil boundary?

Old 29-01-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon" wrote in message
My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of preventing

the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their

edge
along the grass/soil boundary?

I think that that would be effective provided that you bury the gravel
boards to a depth of 9".

Old 29-01-2008, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 13:42, "Gordon" wrote:
My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of preventing the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their edge
along the grass/soil boundary?

You can use wooden edges, which I do. They look nice. If you have a
very long edge to do, since it's a field you've mentioned, what about
just a trench to one spit depth about 2" wide. We do this on our
allotments - saves money - and you can see the grass trying to come
through sometimes, and just pick it out.
Old 18-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon[_3_] View Post
My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of preventing the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their edge
along the grass/soil boundary?
-----
I did a similar thing a while ago using a steel edging product i found on the internet. www.everedge.co.uk

It sounds like this would be pretty good for what you need to do (and it doesn't look too shabby either!)
Old 18-02-2008, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pd001" wrote in message
news

'Gordon[_3_ Wrote:
;772380']My veg patch is in my field at the back - is there a way of
preventing the
grass encroaching on the soil? Such as laying gravel boards on their
edge
along the grass/soil boundary?

-----
I did a similar thing a while ago using a steel edging product i found
on the internet. www.everedge.co.uk

It sounds like this would be pretty good for what you need to do (and
it doesn't look too shabby either!)

I like your house, but don't you find painting round all of those little
windows a bit of a bore ? ;-)

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man