Old 29-01-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default What veg to plant in Feb?

On Jan 29, 2:31 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
Last week end was the first really dry, bright, sunny, not exceedingly
cold, not stormy day (week end day, that is) in a very long time, and
it gave me the opportunity to get back into the garden to finish the
mulching job (farmyard manure) I had started before xmas.
As a good dose of shovelling and wheelbarrowing sometimes does, it
gave me a hunger to get back in there - after all, next Fri is St
Brigid's day, and here it is very much the first day of Spring - and
it feels like it, too.
My whole veg patch is beautifully mulched since November, a few weeds
peeking through, but nothing that is not manageable. I still have a
few cavolo neros that I pluck whenever I gather the courage and the
wellies to get in there. Nothing else there apart from that.
Is there anything I can safely sow/plant outdoors in Feb in the East
Midland part of Ireland, which will give me some early fresh veg?

Cat(h) (itching to get back in)

Broad beans seem to be a regular candidate for this but I have not
tried that (very early planting). My earliest plantings will be
chillis inddors next month cos they need a long season to get started
and then maybe pumpkins similarly but started in maybe March.
Outdoors, I may be tempted out in about 3 weeks if it stops feckin
rainin. Otherwise, knickers to it; the digging can wait.

Des