Old 29-01-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What veg to plant in Feb?

Last week end was the first really dry, bright, sunny, not exceedingly
cold, not stormy day (week end day, that is) in a very long time, and
it gave me the opportunity to get back into the garden to finish the
mulching job (farmyard manure) I had started before xmas.
As a good dose of shovelling and wheelbarrowing sometimes does, it
gave me a hunger to get back in there - after all, next Fri is St
Brigid's day, and here it is very much the first day of Spring - and
it feels like it, too.
My whole veg patch is beautifully mulched since November, a few weeds
peeking through, but nothing that is not manageable. I still have a
few cavolo neros that I pluck whenever I gather the courage and the
wellies to get in there. Nothing else there apart from that.
Is there anything I can safely sow/plant outdoors in Feb in the East
Midland part of Ireland, which will give me some early fresh veg?

Cat(h) (itching to get back in)
Old 29-01-2008, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

I have no idea whaty your weather is like but Ireland is usually wet and
mild like here, isn't it? I sowed meteor peas outside the weekend just gone
and broad beans can be sown any time. Plant garlic if not already in. I know
a lady who has put potatoes in but I think that's a tad risky because of the
fuss of covering the tops against a late frost. I'm thinking of sowing
tomatoes indoors but may leave it a while and onion seeds can be sown.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth

Old 29-01-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 2:31 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
[...]

Broad beans seem to be a regular candidate for this but I have not
tried that (very early planting). My earliest plantings will be
chillis inddors next month cos they need a long season to get started
and then maybe pumpkins similarly but started in maybe March.
Outdoors, I may be tempted out in about 3 weeks if it stops feckin
rainin. Otherwise, knickers to it; the digging can wait.

Des

Old 29-01-2008, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 2:39*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:31 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

[...]

Des- Hide quoted text -

Hi Des, on Thursday we will have the feckin' snow, I think I would
rather have the rain at least I can do something in the garden then
but with snow, forget it - unless you know something I don't ? :-)

Judith
Old 29-01-2008, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 14:39, Des Higgins wrote:
Broad beans seem to be a regular candidate for this but I have not
tried that (very early planting). *My earliest plantings will be
chillis inddors next month cos they need a long season to get started
and then maybe pumpkins similarly but started in maybe March.
Outdoors, I may be tempted out in about 3 weeks if it stops feckin
rainin. *Otherwise, knickers to it; the digging can wait.

We saw the sun shine for the first time yesterday and I stood in it
like a lezard on a rock (the last time I saw sunshine like this was
when I was in New York at xmas!). This week end I'm sowing onions,
shallots and garlic. Also, seeing that it's so mild and feels more
like mid feb than end of January, I'm tempted to do carrots, parsnip
and radish under protection. Could do broad beans too - but must make
sure that the ground is not totally soaking. My friend has the tips of
her asparagus already showing ... roll eyes

Old 29-01-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 4:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

I was in Spain last week for a few days and it was so warm at night
that I almost wanted to turn on the air conditioning. It was clear
and bright and sunny during the day.
The weather here has been like yours.

Old 29-01-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 2:31 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

[...]

I once erected a greenhouse in snow simultaneous with giving up fags.
It was a weird week. Otherwise, I have only seen a few hours of snow
here in Dublin over past 4 years.

Des

Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Try a short row of an early turnip such as Purple Top Milan. Ideally
under some protection. Expect to harvest May/June when they are quite
small and delicious raw or cooked.

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:51 +0000 (GMT), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

Try a short row of an early turnip such as Purple Top Milan. Ideally
under some protection. Expect to harvest May/June when they are quite
small and delicious raw or cooked.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions, all noted.
Isn't it ironic that, the week end after I got the itch, we were
treated to blizzards, sub zero temperature, hail, sleet and snow.
Ah well...

Cat(h)