Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default cycle pond pump off and on

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:48:41 CST, "old dirtbeard"
wrote:

The Aquascape Pro 3000 uses about 280 watts per hour, and if I cycle it off
for four hours a day, it would save about 408 kWh a year; six hours a day
would save 613 kWh a year. Those quantities could be enough to power an
average house for a month.

I am thinking green here, but do not want to damage the health of my bio
filter or my fish. I think the pond probably is over-pumped and
over-filtered and I am just burning energy that could be sent elsewhere.

I might consider a slower flow (smaller pump) to the filters to save
power, but I would never recommend stopping, or cycling the flow.
The filter bacteria have a short lifecycle and depend on the constant
water flow to survive and multiply.

--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb