Old 02-02-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default cycle pond pump off and on

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:41:23 CST, Hal wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:48:41 CST, "old dirtbeard"
wrote:

The Aquascape Pro 3000 uses about 280 watts per hour, and if I cycle it off
for four hours a day, it would save about 408 kWh a year; six hours a day
would save 613 kWh a year. Those quantities could be enough to power an
average house for a month.

I am thinking green here, but do not want to damage the health of my bio
filter or my fish. I think the pond probably is over-pumped and
over-filtered and I am just burning energy that could be sent elsewhere.

I might consider a slower flow (smaller pump) to the filters to save
power, but I would never recommend stopping, or cycling the flow.
The filter bacteria have a short lifecycle and depend on the constant
water flow to survive and multiply.

I agree, and would add that not only food, but the bacteria is aerobic,
meaning it needs air flowing pass it. Still water and they drown.

OD you might want to look into using a trickle tower rather than a
submerged media filter. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us