Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default cycle pond pump off and on

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:40:50 CST, "old dirtbeard"
wrote:

I guess I could try it and test the water very closely to see if it degraded
the bacteria in the bio filter. I was just hoping to see if anyone had tried
this before. Thank you for the feedback -- much appreciated.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I feel every time I turn off my pump,
I'm having a negative effect on the filters and try to keep the pumps
running 24/7.

As I understand nitrifying bacteria in bio-filters, they feed on the
ammonia/nitrates in fish waste in the water flow and in turn produce
waste of their own. If the water flow stops, they die from starvation
and the accumulation of their own waste. They are subject to the
"toilet bowl" existence too.

I poked around a bit, but didn't find any articles about changing the
water flow on an hourly basis like you mentioned. Perhaps you could
let us know how reducing the flow at night works for you?
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb