Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clearing land

Charlie Pridham says...
Any suggestions on the best way to clear a very overgrown plot (gorse and
scrub to 10' high, but unsure what may be lurking below soil level) with
a view to being able to rotavate and seed with grass, quite an area
approx 4 house plot size. Was asked by a gardener friend and I have no
idea the sort of mechanical help available, (said gardener is fit and
well!)

Our land started out with a jungle of brambles and self set
trees. I initially used a strimmer but a bloke who was
doing our drive at the time with a JCB offered to clear it
for us. Within a few minutes he had skimmed off everything
above ground level into a big pile for burning. The same
work would have taken me several weeks by hand.

After glyphosating the resulting re-growth it was possible
to rotovate.
--
David in Normandy