Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
iL_WeReo iL_WeReo is offline

Default I need help with my plants

Hello,

I have a 30 year old Cordatum Philodendron that I noticed a white
slime growing around the rim of the pot. This worried me, so I took it
upon myself to re-pot the plant. It's served me well for a long time
and my mother (of blessed memory) would want me to take care of her
plant best I can.

So today I removed the plant from the pot but noticed a lot of the
roots, while thin, were destroyed while uprooting mom's plant.

I cleaned away the slime, boiled out the pot, put rocks in there as
I'm supposed to, and put fresh and old soil back in there because I
didn't buy enough from the store.

What I'm worried about now is it looked like a very small root system
that was left intact. Not only that, the stems were so long I decided
to cut them in half, and at a slanted angle replace them all into the
soil.

Do you think the new stems are going to take hold? Is there a "trick"
I should keep in mind while trying to get new stems to take? What do
you think is going to be the outcome of this plant as a whole? Many
thanks for everyone's help.