Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I need help with my plants

Hello,

I have a 30 year old Cordatum Philodendron that I noticed a white
slime growing around the rim of the pot. This worried me, so I took it
upon myself to re-pot the plant. It's served me well for a long time
and my mother (of blessed memory) would want me to take care of her
plant best I can.

So today I removed the plant from the pot but noticed a lot of the
roots, while thin, were destroyed while uprooting mom's plant.

I cleaned away the slime, boiled out the pot, put rocks in there as
I'm supposed to, and put fresh and old soil back in there because I
didn't buy enough from the store.

What I'm worried about now is it looked like a very small root system
that was left intact. Not only that, the stems were so long I decided
to cut them in half, and at a slanted angle replace them all into the
soil.

Do you think the new stems are going to take hold? Is there a "trick"
I should keep in mind while trying to get new stems to take? What do
you think is going to be the outcome of this plant as a whole? Many
thanks for everyone's help.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:22:37 -0800 (PST), iL_WeReo
wrote:

[...]

The worst thing you did was put the old worn-out soil back into the
pot (this is the first time I've ever read that!) Remove the stems
(cuttings) and start them in water, give them away, or add them to the
compost. After repotting, allow the plant to "rest," giving it less
water and no fertilizer for 3-4 months. You should see new sprouts
in 2-3 months. Not sure what you meant by "boiled out the pot."
Philodendrons are easy to grow if you don't baby them too much.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I guess that's the answer I'm looking for. After digging them back into the
soil I should've known better and put them first into a glass of water like
you said.

How long do they (the 4 of them) stay in this glass of water before putting
them back into the soil? Btw the soil sin't that old. I repotted this about
a year or so ago to put some rocks into the pot as recommended by someone
else. I bought new soil at the store today but it needed three times as much
but I had other dry soil and used the mixture of all three.

My mother's gonna come back and kill me if I kill her plant. I have a
picture of my three plants on my website. Thank you for your help. So what
do I do now?