Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Elderberry Check

Zone 6b, Kentucky..

I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as a hedge row across the
back yard (65' or so) and thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
and Nigra alternated along the row.

A plus on this thought is that it fits into the "darn near everything's
edible" form of the yard but I did want to double check..

Are both of these human edible? I'd assume they'd need cooked as do
most. At any rate, wanted to double check on this.

I really want to do something edible along the back, be at least 6-10'
tall and have a spread of around 6' wide, or can be pruned to keep this
spread.

Seems like a good fit.

Any opinions on these or maybe something else which fruits and might be
used as a hedge row? I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees as
it's also for privacy.

Thoughts?