Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Elderberry Check

Zone 6b, Kentucky..

I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as a hedge row across the
back yard (65' or so) and thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
and Nigra alternated along the row.

A plus on this thought is that it fits into the "darn near everything's
edible" form of the yard but I did want to double check..

Are both of these human edible? I'd assume they'd need cooked as do
most. At any rate, wanted to double check on this.

I really want to do something edible along the back, be at least 6-10'
tall and have a spread of around 6' wide, or can be pruned to keep this
spread.

Seems like a good fit.

Any opinions on these or maybe something else which fruits and might be
used as a hedge row? I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees as
it's also for privacy.

Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Zone 6b, Kentucky..

I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as
a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and
thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
and Nigra alternated along the row.

A plus on this thought is that it fits into the
"darn near everything's edible" form of the yard
but I did want to double check..

Are both of these human edible? I'd assume
they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate,
wanted to double check on this.

Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I
would do with them.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
: Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

: Zone 6b, Kentucky..
:
: I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as
: a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and
: thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
: and Nigra alternated along the row.
:
: A plus on this thought is that it fits into the
: "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard
: but I did want to double check..
:
: Are both of these human edible? I'd assume
: they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate,
: wanted to double check on this.

: Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I
: would do with them.

Racemosa is usually not considered edible.
Pity, Helsinki is full of them.

:
: Any opinions on these or maybe something else
: which fruits and might be used as a hedge row?
: I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees
: as it's also for privacy.
:
: Thoughts?

How about Viburnum trilobum or V. lentago.

--
Erkki 'Örkki' Aalto "Life is divided up into
Internet: the horrible and the miserable"
Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Erkki Aalto wrote:

"Life is divided up into the horrible and the miserable"

Ouch!
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Erkki Aalto wrote in
:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
: Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

: Zone 6b, Kentucky..
:
: I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as
: a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and
: thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
: and Nigra alternated along the row.
:
: A plus on this thought is that it fits into the
: "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard
: but I did want to double check..
:
: Are both of these human edible? I'd assume
: they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate,
: wanted to double check on this.

: Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I
: would do with them.

Racemosa is usually not considered edible.
Pity, Helsinki is full of them.

the seeds are poisonous *in quantity*. the fruit is inedible
(tastes bad) unless completely ripe & then is much better
cooked (pies & jelly) with the seeds strained out. it's also
used for making wine.
Elderberries are a lot of work to prepare, but they are
edible. the flower clusters can also be battered & deep fried
(no, i haven't tried it. i'm not fond of fried foods)
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

[IMG] code is On

Elderberry Cutting Steve Newport United Kingdom 16 12-09-2008 04:01 AM
Elderberry bush? Allview Gardening 13 04-06-2005 05:29 PM
Elderberry wick with blackfly! Pip United Kingdom 14 01-06-2004 11:18 AM
Elderberry wine & twitch MDHJWH Australia 1 27-10-2003 09:32 AM
Elderberry Jabber United Kingdom 9 02-05-2003 06:57 PM