Old 07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
nickp nickp is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH View Post
"CK" wrote in message
Hi Sally and Phil,

I had used ring culture last year and inserted inverted plastic bottles
with bottom cut off in the growbags. I used those bottles in soil too as
I would like to keep the top inch of soil dry to discourage weeds, slugs
and snails.

There are several reasons that I am interested in grow pots. Firstly the
same reason as Sally as they can hold much more water, 4 pints. It is a
bit difficult to hold an inverted bottom with this volume firmly in my
windy garden (I only got a 6' x 8' greenhouse, not enough for all tomato
plants).

Another reason is not for tomato but for courgette. We had lost a number
of plants at the beginning of the season due to the growing point of
plants being eaten. Then, as we usually have a holiday away for over 2
weeks in the summer, we usually have the problem of powdery mildew when we
come back. Finally, it seems that slugs and snails like young courgettes.
(I have also considered slug and snail shokka mat which is also an
expensive stuff.) So I think using grow pots may help to solve or ease the
problems.

This year, my parents-in-law need to give up growing their tomato as the
health situation. I am considering giving them some bushy tomatoes in
grow pots on grow bags. So there is no need of pruning, no need to water
several times a day.

It is the third year I have home grown vegetables so still a lot of trial
and error. Sally, your finding is cheaper than mine. I will have a look
in the website and see whether I can find other stuff useful so I will
not waste the money. Thank you.

With regards,
CK from Aberystwyth

Hi CK,
I did exactly the same as you last year - 2 litre plastic bottles which
worked quite well and shall still use them for tomatoes and cucumbers which
are planted in large tubs. I too suffer from slugs and snails, or used to
perhaps, because now I have free range chickens! I shall have to keep the
growing young plants out of their reach until they become established.
Sally

Hi all at garden banter, If anyone would like more information on growpots or any of the other products we have in the pipeline dont hesitate to contact us .