Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to start my Philodendron?

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:23:46 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
wrote:

I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

New roots will appear in 2-6 weeks, depending on the environment.
Usually roots will start at a node (on the stem). Wait for several
roots an inch or so long before you pot them up. Rooting in water is
okay, but you get a stronger root system (and a faster growing plant)
if you use vermiculite or other rooting medium with a rooting hormone
powder.