Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to start my Philodendron?

I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 8, 7:23 pm, "WeReo_ScoTTy" wrote:
I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

You done just right. Should get tiny roots in a week.
This is actually a garden place. Expect shouts from some of the
locals.

cheers

oz, overwhelmed by the seed catalogs
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"MajorOz" wrote in message
On Feb 8, 7:23 pm, "WeReo_ScoTTy" wrote:
I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about
half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing
do? Many thanks.

You done just right. Should get tiny roots in a week.
This is actually a garden place. Expect shouts from some of the
locals.

cheers

oz, overwhelmed by the seed catalogs

Thanks oz, like you say I hope im doing everything right. And thanks for
letting me know how long to wait before panicking.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:23:46 -0500, "WeReo_ScoTTy"
wrote:

I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

New roots will appear in 2-6 weeks, depending on the environment.
Usually roots will start at a node (on the stem). Wait for several
roots an inch or so long before you pot them up. Rooting in water is
okay, but you get a stronger root system (and a faster growing plant)
if you use vermiculite or other rooting medium with a rooting hormone
powder.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

New roots will appear in 2-6 weeks, depending on the environment.
Usually roots will start at a node (on the stem). * Wait for several
roots an inch or so long before you pot them up. *Rooting in water is
okay, but you get a stronger root system (and a faster growing plant)
if you use vermiculite or other rooting medium with a rooting hormone
powder. *

I'll look for vermiculite in a store.

Thank you so much.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/8/2008 5:23 PM, WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
I took the plant out of the pot in order to clean away the white slime
accumuating near the rim.

The plant is about 30 years old and hearty. I cut the stems in about half,
and placed the new stems in a glass of water.

Does anyone know how long it's gonna take new roots to arrive? And I left a
diagonal cut on the raw stems intead of square. Is this the right thing to
do? Many thanks.

Generally, rooting in water results in roots that are too easily bruised
when potting. I suggest you use a half-and-half mix of peat moss and
coarse sand as a rooting medium instead of water. This mix will stay
moist without becoming soggy. Also, the peat inhibits fungus and rot.
Do not add any nutrients to the mix until after you are sure that there
are roots.

While rooting in water is not good if you plant to pot the new plants,
it's quite good if you intend to grow the new plants in water. I have a
Philodendron growing in water in a large blue glass flask. I just add
more water as the water level drops. Once in a great while, I add a
teaspoon of extra-diluted runoff from feeding my orchids; this seems to
supply all the nutrients needed.

The old plant should get new sprouts, even from leafless stems. The
sprouts should grow where there are leaves or used to be leaves.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered User

Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post
[...]

That is great advise. David I think that I will definitely want try your approach.
Not only will it save me on potting soil, it will also look so much neater.

And as I can gather you do not risk overwatering the plants OR is that risk still threatening?

What about plants that do not like wet feet??
__________________
Digging in the dirt.
Orchids
Candle Making
Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

-

[...]

Growing Philodendron in water is an old practice suitable even for
novices. This is also true of related plants such as pothos (Epipremnum
pinnatum) and nephthytis (Syngonium podophyllum). However, it will not
work for plants that are accustomed to dry conditions such as succulents
and cactii.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html for a
do-it-yourself potting mix. Adjust it as indicated for acid-loving
plants or for cactus and other succulents. Leave out all nutrients, and
it becomes a rooting medium for cuttings, which is what you might need.
Also note at my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html
how this can be adapted for starting seeds in a container.

Old 13-02-2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

. ..
David E. Ross;774016 Wrote:
[...]

All this is above my head. Meanwhile I'm worried about the roots that are
supposed to grow from the newly cut stems from the mother plant.

The new stems are in a glass of water and are cut in diagonal, like you
would cut the stem from a rose. Am I doing the right thing? Can anyone send
me any hormones or chemicals you suggest? I'll pay you for them.

Old 14-02-2008, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross;774016 Wrote:
[...]

You don't need rooting hormone for Philodendron. Just be sure that
there is no direct sun on the plant. You should see roots in about 2-3
weeks.

Old 14-02-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross;774016 Wrote:
[...]

So far the leaves seem to be holding their own, it's iffy. Ok, thanks.