Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Victory Garden Redux

On 2/9/08 11:20 AM, in article ,
"Bill R" wrote:

Pennyaline wrote:
In the name of humanity, won't someone please take this program out into
the woods and put a bullet in its brain? End its suffering! Is there no
one willing to do the right thing for this worn-out show?

Lay it in a shallow grave. Don't mark it. Let it rest undiscovered,
undisturbed, in peace.

I agree that in its current format it needs to be ended. HOWEVER, I do
think that Victory Garden could be saved. The show needs a new staff
that is for sure. It needs people like the original producers and
gardeners like Jim Crockett. The show really needs to get back to its
1975 roots and show gardening, not all the "high brow" stuff that WGBH
and PBS "thinks" real gardeners want to see. They need to have the show
hosted by "old time" gardeners (the ones like Jim, Bob Thomson and Roger
Swain). I don't know why that they think that they have to "import"
hosts. I guess that is just more PBS "snob appeal" which, clearly does
not work on "down to earth" programs like Victory Garden.

Oh dear, have they sunk to lower lows?