Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Victory Garden Redux

In the name of humanity, won't someone please take this program out into
the woods and put a bullet in its brain? End its suffering! Is there no
one willing to do the right thing for this worn-out show?

Lay it in a shallow grave. Don't mark it. Let it rest undiscovered,
undisturbed, in peace.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pennyaline wrote:
In the name of humanity, won't someone please take this program out into
the woods and put a bullet in its brain? End its suffering! Is there no
one willing to do the right thing for this worn-out show?

Lay it in a shallow grave. Don't mark it. Let it rest undiscovered,
undisturbed, in peace.

I agree that in its current format it needs to be ended. HOWEVER, I do
think that Victory Garden could be saved. The show needs a new staff
that is for sure. It needs people like the original producers and
gardeners like Jim Crockett. The show really needs to get back to its
1975 roots and show gardening, not all the "high brow" stuff that WGBH
and PBS "thinks" real gardeners want to see. They need to have the show
hosted by "old time" gardeners (the ones like Jim, Bob Thomson and Roger
Swain). I don't know why that they think that they have to "import"
hosts. I guess that is just more PBS "snob appeal" which, clearly does
not work on "down to earth" programs like Victory Garden.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/9/08 11:20 AM, in article ,
"Bill R" wrote:

Pennyaline wrote:
[...]

Oh dear, have they sunk to lower lows?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/9/08 11:20 AM, in article ,
"Bill R" wrote:

Pennyaline wrote:
[...]

May just be a matter of perception. I'm a long time fan of Dr. Who.
The guy with the long scarf resonated with me. A few Doc's before and
after were cool. The new guys just doesn't have it charm or mystic
connection. I wonder if gardeners are locked in time and space too?
Sustainable garden practice? I wonder when that idea was invoked.
Victory Gardens was a WW2 idea to help feed Britain and it sure has
evolved to include folks growing their own food.

Bill who is working on a new cold frame that looks like a British Phone
booth ) RIGHT!

4:42 Jean Luc Ponty Cosmic Messager Jazz

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
May just be a matter of perception. I'm a long time fan of Dr. Who.
The guy with the long scarf resonated with me. A few Doc's before and
after were cool. The new guys just doesn't have it charm or mystic
connection. I wonder if gardeners are locked in time and space too?

Maybe they are. Still, the recent VGs are little more than old segments
of old shows and old cast and crew, laced together with new recipes for
improbable salads. It offers nothing, not even entertainment, and it
certainly doesn't teach me anything. Jettison the horse-faced,
pony-tailed posers that are the living segment hosts and get on with the
gardening already!

Sustainable garden practice? I wonder when that idea was invoked.
Victory Gardens was a WW2 idea to help feed Britain and it sure has
evolved to include folks growing their own food.

Victory gardens were started in WW1, and victory gardening was practiced
in the UK, Canada and the USA. It's nice that it has devolved into the
prosaic practice of growing ones own food. "Sustainable garden practice"
I imagine was invoked at the same time as sustainable farming, with
conservation, erosion prevention, crop rotation, etc.

Bill who is working on a new cold frame that looks like a British Phone
booth ) RIGHT!

Hey, send me a copy of the plans when you're done!