Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default Victory Garden Redux

Bill wrote:
May just be a matter of perception. I'm a long time fan of Dr. Who.
The guy with the long scarf resonated with me. A few Doc's before and
after were cool. The new guys just doesn't have it charm or mystic
connection. I wonder if gardeners are locked in time and space too?

Maybe they are. Still, the recent VGs are little more than old segments
of old shows and old cast and crew, laced together with new recipes for
improbable salads. It offers nothing, not even entertainment, and it
certainly doesn't teach me anything. Jettison the horse-faced,
pony-tailed posers that are the living segment hosts and get on with the
gardening already!

Sustainable garden practice? I wonder when that idea was invoked.
Victory Gardens was a WW2 idea to help feed Britain and it sure has
evolved to include folks growing their own food.

Victory gardens were started in WW1, and victory gardening was practiced
in the UK, Canada and the USA. It's nice that it has devolved into the
prosaic practice of growing ones own food. "Sustainable garden practice"
I imagine was invoked at the same time as sustainable farming, with
conservation, erosion prevention, crop rotation, etc.

Bill who is working on a new cold frame that looks like a British Phone
booth ) RIGHT!

Hey, send me a copy of the plans when you're done!