Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PK[_2_] PK[_2_] is offline

Default Daphne odora

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Anyone got the secret of growing this well? I've tried several times to
bring on small (30 cm) plants in pots, but never succeeded in getting them
past 3 years. Maybe it's the use of pots it does not like. In a couple
of gardens not too far away (about 400 m), there are some quite large
plants (1.5 m across by 1 m high) which are obviously very happy, and
quite old. And they are in garden soil (clay here, unless improved in
those gardens). I find the scent one of the best of any plants.

BTW, I have no problem with Daphne retusa. Kept one alive in a pot for
about 16 years.

It likes shade or dappled sunlight. full sun and it will be very unhappy,
roots cools & moist but well drained ie standing water in a pot saucer not
advised

pk