Old 09-02-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daphne odora

Anyone got the secret of growing this well? I've tried several times to
bring on small (30 cm) plants in pots, but never succeeded in getting them
past 3 years. Maybe it's the use of pots it does not like. In a couple of
gardens not too far away (about 400 m), there are some quite large plants
(1.5 m across by 1 m high) which are obviously very happy, and quite old.
And they are in garden soil (clay here, unless improved in those gardens).
I find the scent one of the best of any plants.

BTW, I have no problem with Daphne retusa. Kept one alive in a pot for
about 16 years.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Anyone got the secret of growing this well? I've tried several times to
bring on small (30 cm) plants in pots, but never succeeded in getting them
past 3 years. Maybe it's the use of pots it does not like. In a couple
of gardens not too far away (about 400 m), there are some quite large
plants (1.5 m across by 1 m high) which are obviously very happy, and
quite old. And they are in garden soil (clay here, unless improved in
those gardens). I find the scent one of the best of any plants.

BTW, I have no problem with Daphne retusa. Kept one alive in a pot for
about 16 years.

It likes shade or dappled sunlight. full sun and it will be very unhappy,
roots cools & moist but well drained ie standing water in a pot saucer not
advised

pk

Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Anyone got the secret of growing this well? I've tried several
times to bring on small (30 cm) plants in pots, but never succeeded
in getting them past 3 years. Maybe it's the use of pots it does
not like. In a couple of gardens not too far away (about 400 m),
there are some quite large plants (1.5 m across by 1 m high) which
are obviously very happy, and quite old. And they are in garden soil
(clay here, unless improved in those gardens). I find the scent one
of the best of any plants. BTW, I have no problem with Daphne retusa.
Kept one alive in a pot
for about 16 years.

It likes shade or dappled sunlight. full sun and it will be very
unhappy, roots cools & moist but well drained ie standing water in a
pot saucer not advised

pk

Maybe it's the cool root run which I need to consider. Next time I try it
I'll line the pot with bubble polythene.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:19:10 -0000, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

Anyone got the secret of growing this well? I've tried several times to
bring on small (30 cm) plants in pots, but never succeeded in getting them
past 3 years. Maybe it's the use of pots it does not like. In a couple of
gardens not too far away (about 400 m), there are some quite large plants
(1.5 m across by 1 m high) which are obviously very happy, and quite old.
And they are in garden soil (clay here, unless improved in those gardens).
I find the scent one of the best of any plants.

BTW, I have no problem with Daphne retusa. Kept one alive in a pot for
about 16 years.

Mine is just coming into flower and is about 1m x1m.
It is the "aureomarginata" variety.
The plant I have now has been in the ground for around 8 years and was
given to me as a newly rooted cutting by a friend, from her own bush.
I had tried twice to root a piece and had given up when I was given
this one. My other daphnes did not last beyond 10 to 12 years so
maybe I ought to start trying again!

Pam in Bristol

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK wrote:
[...]

They like morning sun but hate afternoon sun so you might be right. If you
can put the pot on the eastern side and/or surround it with other pots so
that the other pots shade the daphne's pot then that might work too.

I've never given mine dappled light or shade but have been fussy about
morning vs afternoon sun and never had a problem. I live in Australia where
the sun is much more of a problem than the UK and have had daphnes in every
house for over 30 years. I have only grown then in the ground but always
ont he east of the house or east of a bush or other form of afternoon shade.