Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] is offline

Default Elderberry Check

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Zone 6b, Kentucky..

I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as
a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and
thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
and Nigra alternated along the row.

A plus on this thought is that it fits into the
"darn near everything's edible" form of the yard
but I did want to double check..

Are both of these human edible? I'd assume
they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate,
wanted to double check on this.

Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I
would do with them.

I really want to do something edible along the
back, be at least 6-10' tall and have a spread
of around 6' wide, or can be pruned to keep this
spread.

Seems like a good fit.

Any opinions on these or maybe something else
which fruits and might be used as a hedge row?
I'd prefer ground up growth as apposed to trees
as it's also for privacy.

Thoughts?