Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Elderberry Check

Erkki Aalto wrote in
:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
: Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

: Zone 6b, Kentucky..
:
: I was browsing around for a nice plant to put as
: a hedge row across the back yard (65' or so) and
: thought it'd be fun to have Sambucus Racemosa
: and Nigra alternated along the row.
:
: A plus on this thought is that it fits into the
: "darn near everything's edible" form of the yard
: but I did want to double check..
:
: Are both of these human edible? I'd assume
: they'd need cooked as do most. At any rate,
: wanted to double check on this.

: Ever hear of Elderberry wine? This is what I
: would do with them.

Racemosa is usually not considered edible.
Pity, Helsinki is full of them.

the seeds are poisonous *in quantity*. the fruit is inedible
(tastes bad) unless completely ripe & then is much better
cooked (pies & jelly) with the seeds strained out. it's also
used for making wine.
Elderberries are a lot of work to prepare, but they are
edible. the flower clusters can also be battered & deep fried
(no, i haven't tried it. i'm not fond of fried foods)
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there